Sunday, September 6, 2015

Homeschool Week in the Life #4 - Fairy Tales

Here's a recap of our fourth week of school. Fairy Tale Week!
 

Bible Time/Character:

"I am gentle" from We Choose Virtues
 
 
Everett learned that God is a spirit and the girls learned the story of David and Jonathan.

Circle Time: telling and retelling stories

We had lots of fun learning about what fairy tales are. During the summer a friend gave us flannel graph sets for Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood, and the Gingerbread Boy.  We also retold Three Little Pigs and Little Red Riding Hood  with puzzles I have from my teaching days.
 

Elynne's turn to add a picture
while retelling the Gingerbread Boy


Read A-louds

We checked out several fun books from the library. These fun spin offs of some of the stories we already knew were some of our favorites:
      

Center Time

I thought of a new "center" that the kids really enjoyed!  I love finding activities that excite them and this one did. Best of all, it was VERY inexpensive! $1 from the Dollar Tree.

WINDOW CENTER - I bought window clings with them numbers 1-10 and the alphabet. I will probably also go back for the weather set, so my first grader can match the words to the pictures.

Evangeline adding the correct number of dots
after putting the numbers in order.
 
 
Other centers they enjoyed included our Little People castle and people, Little People Klip Klop castle, puppets (they have enjoyed them for 3 weeks now!!), quiet books (hoping to show you these up close in an upcoming video), sorting bears/cups, painting. Note: we have several little people sets, but we were so blessed to receive the castle as a hand-me down when a friend upgraded her daughter's and I found the Klip Klop castle at a thrift store and bought it for $2!! One of my all time greatest finds!! :)
 

What didn't work?

 
Art! I had planned for them to make a Jack and the Beanstalk that I have pinned on pinterest, but it was a bust! With me being busy with some of my own computer work and assembling file folders for laminating, the girls got as far as drawing and painting the leaves and gave up. We even had an epic meltdown when one of them decided to cut her leaves into tiny pieces then got upset after the fact that they didn't look like leaves. **SIGH** Art wasn't fun like it was supposed to be, so we scrapped that project for all of our sakes. We will try another painting project next week.

Here's our Homeschool Week in the Life recap for this week.



I hope your week went well!!

Dina


No comments: